Friday, February 15, 2013

SONK

Today, I learned a new term related to the knee - SONK.  Before I get to what SONK is and how it relates to me, let me briefly update what has taken place the last few weeks.

Over the past few weeks following the initial MRI results I have visited or have been in touch with five different orthopedic doctors concerning my case.  Which led me to my sixth doctor that I visited yesterday.  Why so many?  It has been hard to get both a solid perspective of what the next step should be and to find someone that seemed ready to dive into my case (or had the expertise to dive in).

The first words that doc #6 had to say when he walked in the room was, "Lee, you have one challenging knee."  After stating what I took as obvious...lol...he began to ask questions about the last year, we talked through the last few surgical reports, and then he did some pushing and moving of the knee.  Coming out of that appointment we decided to schedule a scope of the knee to get eyes on what is really going on inside...with two possible plans of action based on what we found: 1) Osteochondral allograft or 2) Artificial fix.

Melissa and I left feeling like we had a plan of action that both of us were very comfortable in exploring.  Then the phone rang.  Dr. #6 was on the other end of the phone.  He began to explain that he decided to dive into my MRI a little more and so he called his favorite radiologist to give an opinion on my films and together they came to a conclusion that I might have a SONK lesion.  You can click on the link below to read into the detail of what a SONK lesion is.

SONK Lesion or (Spontaneous Osteonecrosis of the Knee)

What does this mean and where do we go from here?  Basically our plan of action at this point is that my doc told me to put the unloader brace back on, walk with a cane, and to take it easy.  There is a small chance that the damage to the knee (what seems to be a SONK lesion) could reverse itself if given to rest (if it is small).  However, to do a scope of my knee could cause my SONK lesion to get worse if indeed that is what it is.

From here the plan is to rest the knee for a month, at that time we will do another 3T-MRI of my knee and compare the images to my January MRI.  If the area they are concerned about doesn't change or worsens...it is a SONK lesion.  We haven't talked in detail at this point what we will do if indeed this turns out to be a SONK lesion...but from my research the only options seem to be a unicompartmental knee replacement or a TKR.

It is hard to explain the emotions of the current journey.  I feel more numb to it all at this point...probably because I feel I have moved into survival mode or I am just tired of facing the emotions of the problem.  At least, at this point, it looks like we will have more answers in a month.  In the meantime, I am rocking my new Walgreens cane.

10 comments:

  1. I've been reading many blogs trying to get a grip on how bad this is going to be. Yours touched me the most by far. My cells were harvested on Valentine's Day and now I wait. I've already had both knees microfractured and this is the only thing left. I had both my previous procedures done in Phoenix but this one is being done at Mayo in MN. Much like yourself, I long to have my quality of life back and will do anything to get it.
    Please keep up your blog. You are in my prayers and an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please contact me at jmo@google.com. ( 49 year old female 7 months after 1st symptom.
      I would like to know where you are in your progress - I facing a experimental procedure, and either want to know if you have tried or perhaps share the work I am facing in Dallas TX

      Delete
  2. Hi Lee,
    I can fully empathise with you. In December 2012 I began to limp due a pain in my left knee. By xmas I could not walk without a crutch, and by January 2013 I found myself having to use a wheelchair. Finally, last Wednesday (27th February) following an MRI, the consultant told me I had SONK. I had no idea what this was and the consultant told me that at the very worst I would need a TKR! Like you I was shocked to the core and looked it up on the internet and was distressed to find that if it does not clear up (as it appears to depend on the level of the condition)it could progress into bone deterioration and severe arthritis. What really worries me is the time it takes for our beloved NHS to get around deciding what to do. I have been told to go back in 2 months time for a progress report, and despite being a relatively healthy 49 year old, I am now facing the very real prospect of being a cripple for the rest of my life.

    I am not a wealthy person but in my desperation I have been looking up the cost of getting a uni compartmental or TKR and the latter is about £10,000 (gulp). I am interested to know if the unloader brace is working. Also, far from being told to rest I have been told to exercise in order to build up my quads as resting has led to quite substantial atrophy.

    I don,t suppose this will cheer you up Lee, but at least you know there are others going through the same emotions. I am still using a wheelchair and only hope that over the next 2 months it reverses.

    I wish you all the very very best.
    Mark



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fellow Sonk suffered friends
      Please contact me at jmo@google.com. I am 7months after first onset - facing experimental procedure in Dallas . Wondering if any have tried and or perhaps share with the group.

      Delete
    2. Hey JMO- Just curious what they are trying? Keep me in the loop.

      Delete
  3. Thanks Mark for sharing your story with me. I have a follow up MRI in a few weeks and I look forward to hearing the results and the options that come. Please keep me updated on your progress and what you find out on your journey. Blessings man!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mark- To answer your other question...the unloader brace offers only minor relief at this point. Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello folks. I am an overweight but otherwise healthy 66 year old. Having worked hard for long hours for 45 years I was enjoying retirement, particularly my hobby - walking for a couple of hours each day. Then - sunk by sonk! I reacted quickly to the onset of pain in my knee, and got to my GP within days. Following an X-ray he diagnosed osteopeania (pre-cursor to osteoporosis) but then I saw a specilist, had an MRI and was diagnosed with SONK. As with many of your experiences I am resting, and am using elbow crutches to move around. I suggested physiotherapy to avoid muscle atrophy and so I am now doing some cautious exercises and am applying the hot/cold treatments to stimulate circulation. I understand that SONK is when circulation has failed at the 'working end' ie that the capillaries are not delivering nutrients to the bone. As well as hot/cold packs, I have started taking statins, and I am going to try acupuncture. In the meantime, my consumption of old films has escalated and my backside is growing.
    Be Well! F.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Long time since I have be logged in .
    In February I had core decompression surgery - they drilled 3 holes in my bones to promote growth - it's been a long battle - absolutely no weight on it at all . The worst for a busy career person like me . 3 months in a wheel chair staying in a handicap accessible room at the local hilton .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow...what a journey. What are they thinking this will do for you longterm?

      Delete