Thursday, April 6, 2017

5 Year Update on the Knee

Five years! In many ways it is hard to believe that it has been just over 5 years ago that life began to change. It has been just over two years from my last knee surgery. I am so thankful that my knee doesn't look like this any more.


After gaining some weight and being tired of sitting around,  I decided it was time to see what the knee could handle and I signed up to join Orange Theory Fitness. Orange Theory is a high interval training class/routine that pushes you through the paces by filling an hour workout with cardio, rowing, body weight and dumbbell exercises. Now being actively going to OTF for the past year, I have to say that I love it.

The year at OTF has helped me regain balance, muscle tone in my left leg, and helped me get back into shape. It hasn't all been easy. I still have to modify certain exercises knowing that lateral movements, jumping, and running make my knee angry; but I think I have improved my vertical leap from 2 inches to about 4 inches. However, with the aid of the trainers and paying attention to what my body is saying, I get through a rigorous workout 4 and 5 times a week. And in many of those workouts I am now able to perform squats and lunges. Who knew???

Where am I at now? Overall, I feel pretty good. I still deal with some pain from time to time. My knee clicks every time I walk across the room. Which is both physically and audibly annoying, but nothing that concerns me too much at the moment. When straightening the knee from a bent position there is still a fair amount of grinding taking place. The good news is the knee isn't swelling and when there is pain, it is manageable. The goal is to get down the road another two years before we consider doing a total knee replacement. I think...that is doable. But one thing I have learned is that when it comes to knee stuff it can turn in an instant.

Melissa and I really appreciate the support from friends and family we have received over the years. I plan to continue to workout regularly and I am even thinking of doing one more bike race in February of 2018, for old times sake. The goal being to go have a good time and not to compete for the podium. Let's see if the leg will continue to cooperate.

I will continue to update the blog when there is something interesting to write about. Thanks again.

1 comment: