Monday, February 20, 2012

5 weeks down

Today marks five weeks post-surgery.  In many ways it is really hard to believe that it was five weeks ago that I under went this surgery.  Here is what is new and some of the highlights of hitting the 5 week mark:


  • Today I am done using the walker.  That is right...I am now 100% on crutches.  The change comes because I am allowed to put 25lbs on my leg when getting around.  The balance that this gives me allows me to use the crutches without any fear of falling.  (I actually had to stand with my left leg over the scale and slowly put weight down until I figured out what 25lbs feels like)
  • This morning is also my first day off of pain meds.  I have slowly weened myself over the past 10 days off of Percocet and then Vicodin.
  • I have one more week of using the CPM machine.  After that I really want to take the machine out to the desert and blow it up.  Anyone want to join me?
  • My leg still turns deep red anytime that I stand up.  I look forward to the day that my color tones are the same.  
  • I still have to spend several hours a day icing.  Though the scar is looking good the knee joint itself is still pretty swollen and icing helps.
  • The goal right now is to be able to do a full leg lift before I go back to the doctor on March 1.  Practice and pain is the name of the game.
  • Overall, recovery has really slowed down from the first three weeks.  Now its more about following the routine and making sure I hit all the marks...Today I am at 114 degrees on the CPM, I have 7 more weeks of using crutches, and hopefully PT starts soon.
Today was also an emotionally difficult day.  I sold both of my single speed bikes and shipped them off.  Cycling has been a sport that I have enjoyed over the years and has really provided me a lot fun, friendships, stories, and even exciting adventures.  I don't know what level of cycling I will be able to do in the future but the freedom to Single Speed is now in the past.

No comments:

Post a Comment