Monday, February 27, 2012

Free At Last!!!

SIX WEEKS!  Today marks six weeks of recovery.  Even better...today they picked up the CPM machine and took it far from my house.  Melissa helped me get it ready by placing it right by the door this morning.  I would hate to slow the guy down as he leaves our house.


Nevertheless, I still have to work on range of motion; and because we no longer have the assistance of a machine, Melissa has to help me out.  The routine is that I lay on the bed, belly down, and she slowly pushes on my shin causing the knee to bend.  Very quickly she realized a little of what I have been going through...the knee was so stiff that it took her entire body weight to get me to 90 degrees.  After a few attempts of working the knee back and forth the knee warmed up...and with lots of help and lots of pain we got close to 120 degrees.  I honestly think she secretly enjoys the power of bringing the pain. : )

Not having to lay on the bed for 6-8 hours a day has been a delight.  I have had so much more time to work, to read, and to play with the kids.  In some ways, I feel like a new man.  I even enjoyed a concert today from the best musician I know.

Thursday is the next big day.  I get to go see Dr. Tarlow for an update and hopefully permission to go to the next level in the rehab process.  That would mean getting a bend in the hinge on my brace and starting official physical therapy.  The bend will allow me to sit in a normal chair and to drive once again.  Watch out everyone...I think I remember what it means to drive.

More to come this Thursday following the doctor visit.

Progress update:
ROM at 120 degrees
No pain meds
Still icing regularly
80 straight leg lifts/day

No comments:

Post a Comment