Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Osteotomy

One part of the procedure recently discussed was to perform an osteotomy along with the ACI procedure.  Now I do know that there are many different types of osteotomies and I am not exactly sure what type of osteotomy I will undergo.

What is an osteotomy?  Basically, an osteotomy is a surgical procedure where the bone is cut to allow a reshaping or a realignment of the bones around a joint. The good news is that my knee alignement is good. However, the reason to perform this procedure is to change the weight distribution in my knee joint.

I am hoping that we are looking at a Fulkerson osteotomy and nothing more invasive.  The Fulkerson is done to reduce the load on the patella.  The downside of a Fulkerson is that I would no longer be able to kneel.  I guess I will have to learn how to pray standing up.

Here is a x-ray of what a Fulkerson Osteotomy looks like.


Looks like fun doesn't???  Just one more thing to look forward to in January.  As I know more I will update you on what I find out and what procedure they decide to perform.  In all, I am not too worried about all of it.  I know it is going to hurt but that kind of comes with the territory!

1 comment:

  1. Fulkerson sounds/looks like a cuss word. I hope that's the one you get too ;-)

    ReplyDelete