Friday, January 27, 2012

No More Staples

Yesterday was road trip day.  It was the first outing for the "million dollar knee" and it was also the first time I got to load myself into a Toyota Sienna.  Having two smaller cars we ended up trading some close friends for a vehicle that was big enough to transport my kids and me (remember I have to have my leg fully extended even in the car).  That is where the van has proven itself very worthy.

Getting in the van was quite the event.  While Melissa supported the surgical leg I sat on the floor of the van and then began to scoot, pull, and push myself to the back seat (entering from the passenger side of the vehicle) until I was in position to pick myself up into the seat.  All in all...this took about 15 minutes, if you include the time walking to the van.

Once we were fully loaded, we made our way to grandma's house to drop off the kids and then onward to the doctor's office.  Upon our arrival, the assistant walked me back to my holding tank and began to take out all 35 staples.  Here is a look at the knee without staples.


Not too bad!  Dr. Tarlow quickly made his way into my room and assessed the knee and called for me to get a couple of X-rays of the knee.  The x-ray process wasn't much fun.  I was required to get into yoga like positions with little help and no brace.  However, I must say the x-rays are crazy looking.  I now have four screws in my left leg: 2 from ACL surgery and 2 more from the Fulkerson Osteotomy.

Overall, Tarlow said that the knee looks good, the screws are holding so far, and to hold faith that the carticel will take.  I am to go back in five weeks for another post op visit to see how the bones are healing after the osteotomy.  Until then we are to keep the same schedule.

Getting the staples pulled wasn't as bad as I first was prepared for.  Each staple removal felt like a small needle poke.  Once all the staples were removed the knee was swabbed with iodine and steri-strips were placed.

Sleeping is still proving to be difficult.  The best I manage is sleeping for 3 hour intervals.  Furthermore, the CPM machine has gotten my range of motion to 64 degrees.  More to come soon.

1 comment:

  1. Nice progress on the CPM!!! impressive! And your story of getting in the van had Bill and I rolling! That is exactly how we did, though many time Bill rode on the floor!! Ha! Hang in there! Love you guys and will hopefully see you soon!

    ReplyDelete